Local users are accounts that exist solely in HelloID, as opposed to accounts that have been synchronized from an external identity provider (IdP) like Active Directory or G Suite. This guide will show you how to create a local user account.
Note that it is not possible to create users in external IdPs from the HelloID admin dashboard. Remote users should be created via the source IdP's own mechanism, and then synchronized to HelloID.
Create a local user
Log in to the HelloID Administrator Dashboard and go to Directory > Users. Select the Create User button in the top right corner.
Enter the user's information on the General tab.
- Username: Enter a username for the user to login.
- First Name: Enter the First name of the user (Optional).
- Last Name: Enter the Last name of the user (Optional).
- Change icon: Upload an image (Optional).
- Email: This email address is used for sending notifications.
- Phone number: The phone number which can be used for two factor authentication.
- Password: Enter a password for the user to login.
- Enabled: Check this box to enable the account.
- Change password at next logon: Check this box to ensure the user needs to change its password at first logon (Optional).
- Manger: Select a manager for the user (optional).
- Other Manager: Select an additional manager for the user (optional).
- QR code: Enter, generate or scan a QR Code. The user can use this QR code to login (optional).
Select the Save button to confirm.
After the user has been created, you can manage its associated user groups on the Groups tab. Every new user will be automatically added to group(s) which are set as default. Select the Add Groups button to add additional groups.
Credential Sets tab
Manage the user's credential sets on the Credential Sets tab.
View the user's attributes on the Attributes tab.
These attributes come from the source IdP and are determined by mapping sets. They may be used for Tasks or Self Service products. Attributes cannot be modified in the HelloID admin dashboard, although certain modifications are possible via the API.
Hidden user attributes
HelloID contains a few hard-coded hidden user attribute fields. These are mappable, but aren't displayed anywhere in the HelloID user interface— not even on the user Attributes tab. This is due to privacy laws and similar restrictions.
Hidden attributes cannot be edited or added, even by administrators. Only predefined hidden attributes exist. Their values may only be viewed or changed via the API, and only when they have been mapped from your IdP's user schema.
Currently, these include:
ECKID(ECK iD: A student identification number for school children in the Netherlands)
The following screenshot demonstrates how these attributes appear in API responses:
When you are finished, select the Save button to commit your changes to the new local user account.
Next: Groups - Overview >>