Note: At least one Self Service category must exist
In order to create a product, at least one category must exist. Learn more about Self Service categories here.
Create a product
On the HelloID admin dashboard, go to Self Service > Products to access the products overview. Select the Create Product button.
On the Product tab you will find fields that describe the product itself, who owns it, how requests are approved, and more.
The name of the product. For multi-lingual support, select the flag icon and provide a relevant translation for the selected language.
- Managed By
The HelloID group whose users will be considered product owners. By default, all requests for this product will be routed to this group for approval. The chosen group can have a single user or multiple users. Nested groups are not supported—only users who have direct membership in the selected group will be part of the approval process.
- Approval Workflow
Select the workflow that will handle requests for this product.
- Form (Optional)
Select a dynamic form that will be displayed to the end user when requesting the product. Additional information about the user or their request can be gathered with this form.
- Description (Optional)
Shown in the Self Service product catalog on the end user dashboard to provide more information to the end user. For multi-lingual support, select the flag icon and provide a relevant translation for the selected language.
- Show Price
When this toggle is turned on, the price of the product will be shown in the Self Service product catalog on the end user dashboard.
- Price (Optional)
The per-unit cost of the product. The price may be entered as a whole number, or a two-digit decimal.
Identifies how the product was created. Automatically set to
APIif the product was created via the v1 API. Empty string if the product was created via the admin dashboard.
Stock Keeping Unit. A unique identifier for the product. By default, this is automatically generated, but you may replace it with a value of your choosing.
Where/to whom this product is shown on the end user dashboard.
Appears on the Self Service Products tab, the Managed Products tab (if the given user is a manager of the product), and under the Open details link for users in the Managed Users tab (if the given user has the product).
- Resource owner and manager
Appears only on the Managed Products tab (if the given user is a manager of the product), and under the Open details link for users in the Managed Users tab (if the given user has the product).
- Resource owner
Appears only on the Managed Products tab (if the given user is a manager of the product).
Not shown anywhere on the end user dashboard.
- Maximum Amount (Optional)
Define the maximum number of requests that can be approved for this product at any given time. This is useful for controlling licensing costs.
- Risk Factor Enabled
Enable to associate a 1-10 risk factor with this product. (1: No risk. 2-4: Low risk. 5-7: Medium risk. 8-10: High risk.) When an end user requests this product by selecting the Open button on the Self Service Products tab of the end user dashboard, they will see a risk factor warning:
Approvers will see the same warning on product request notifications in their Inbox tab:
The risk factor setting has no other effect on the product or approval workflow.
- Multiple Requests
Once: a user may only have a single approved request for this project at a time.
Always: a user may request as many copies of this product as they wish.
- Type of Icon
The icon displayed for the product on the HelloID end user dashboard.
- Change Icon
Upload an icon of your choice, or use one of the many predefined icons within HelloID.
The category in which this product belongs.
- Agent Pool
The Agent pool which should handle requests for this product.
On the Actions tab, you configure tasks which will run during various stages of a product request.
- To get started, select the Add action button to bring up the Task Catalog. See task catalog documentation here.
- Locate the task you wish to perform and then select the Add button next to it. In this example, we will select the Add AD user to AD group task and configure it to run when the product is approved.If you cannot find a pre-defined task in the task catalog that does what you want, you can perform custom actions with a PowerShell task:
- You will now be able to customize the chosen task. The options presented here vary between tasks, but you will always see the following fields:
The name of the task.
- Execute on State
The stage of the product request during which this task will be executed. For example, the "Approved" state means this task will be run when the request is approved.
- Fill out the rest of the form and select the Close button to finish. Note that some fields may contain variables. You may use custom variables in these fields.
- If desired, add additional actions for other stages of the product request. For example, here we've added an action that removes the Active Directory group membership when the product is returned.
Time Limit tab
The Time Limit tab allows you to configure how long a user is allowed to have a product. This tab is useful for products with a higher risk factor or cost. To get started, turn on the Enable toggle:
- Limit Type
The user will have this product for the exact duration specified in the Ownership Duration field, after which it will be automatically returned. Manager override is not allowed.
The user will be able to specify the duration for which they will have this product. For this option, the value entered in the Ownership Duration field is treated as the maximum possible duration. Manager override is allowed if the Allow Manager Override toggle is turned on.
- Ownership Duration Unit
Select whether the Ownership Duration field will be measured in minutes, hours, or days.
- Ownership Duration
Specify, in whole numbers, the duration that the end user will have this product.
- Allow Manager Override
Turn on this toggle to allow the user's manager to override the duration specified in Ownership Duration. Only applies when Limit Type is set to Maximum duration. Note that the manager can only select a new date or time within the range specified in Maximum duration. The manager cannot extend the duration beyond that. For manager override instructions, see Override a product duration.
When you are finished configuring the new product, select the Save button.
Instead of being returned to the product overview page, you are returned to the edit screen for the product you just created. Three additional tabs are now available:
- Request history
These tabs are documented below.
Manage a Product
You can edit a product immediately after creating it, or by selecting the Edit link for a product on the product overview page. This interface provides additional tabs that were not visible during product creation.
In this interface, you can:
- Change any details you provided during product creation on the Product, Actions, and Time Limit tabs
- Add or remove groups from the product on the Groups tab
- Configure multi-product assignment rules on the Segregation tab
- And view requests for the product on the Request history tab.
The Groups tab lets you attach user groups to the product. To request a product on the HelloID end user dashboard, a user must be in at least one user group that has been added to the product itself, and at least one user group that has been added to the product's parent category.
To manage a product's user groups, follow these steps:
- Select the Groups tab. This will display a list of all groups currently attached to this product.
- Select the Add Groups button.
- Select one or more groups to add, and then select the Add Selection button. Alternatively, you can add all groups to this product by selecting the Add All Groups button.
- Select the Save button to confirm your changes.
Note that the default Users group is attached to every new product. If you want to restrict the visibility of this product to only certain users, you will likely want to remove the Users group. To do so, select it on the list and then select the Remove Selection button.
Product segregation helps you enforce segregation of duties and compliance. It lets you create rules that prevent end users from requesting certain Self Service products if they already have certain other contra-indicating products. Some common examples are:
- A user should not be able to request a new model of smartphone if they already have an older model.
- A user should not be able to request cloud storage service Y or Z if they already have cloud storage service X.
In this example, we will prevent users from requesting the Outlook 2013 Self Service product if they already have the Outlook 2016 Self Service product.
To manage product segregation, follow these steps:
- Select the Segregation tab. This will display a list of all segregation rules currently attached to this product (in this example, Outlook 2016).
- Select the Add products button to bring up the product selection dialog.
- Select the product(s) which should be hidden from the end user if they have the current product (in this example, Outlook 2013) and select the Add Selection button.
- The segregated product is now displayed in the list. Select the Save button to finish.
- Adding a segregated product to a given product's segregation list will automatically perform the same action on the other product. For this example, Outlook 2013 will now display Outlook 2016 as a segregated product:
Request History tab
The Request History tab gives you a historical view of who has requested the product.
The following information is displayed:
- Requested On (UTC)
The time and date on which the request was submitted.
- Requested By
The name of the person who submitted the request.
The current state of the request.
More information about the request can be seen by selecting the Open Details link: