Data Sources in HelloID allow you to pull data into your dynamic forms from either an external source or from a centralized list. You can learn more about managing data sources here.
Once you have created a data source, it's easy to connect a form component to it in order to display the information from the data source. Many form components support data source connections, such as drop downs, check boxes, grids, and more. If you have not already done so, you can learn about creating and managing forms here.
Connect a Form Component to a Data Source
- On the HelloID Admin Dashboard, navigate to Self Service > Forms, and create a new form.
- On the new form, add the desired form component. In this example, we'll be using the Drop down component.
- Edit the form component. If the form component supports data source connections, you will see a toggle for Use Data Source, as shown below.
- Enable the Use Data Source toggle. In the Select Data Source drop down, select your desired data source. In this example, we will use the native "HelloID Groups" data source.
- Select an appropriate field in the Value Field drop down. This is the unique identifier of the selected value, which will be submitted with the form.
- Select an appropriate field in the Text Field drop down. This is the value that is shown to the end user, such as the name of the group they are selecting.
- Click Update Field when you are finished.
When the form is submitted, you can access the value of the data source object just like any other form field.
Pass Information into a Data Source from a Form Component
When you choose a Task data source inside a form component's properties, you are given the option to pass an argument to the data source. You can manually specify a value or you can use a value from another field on the form.
In the example below, we are passing the value of a text box (Username Search) to a grid component's data source. This data source looks for users in Active Directory (see the example in this article) whose name matches the given value.
When the user updates the "Username Search" form field, its contents are passed to the "Get AD Users by Username" data source, and its results are displayed in this form component. The screenshot below shows the end result of this when we test the form.