By default, all Self Service product requests are routed to the product manager for approval. You may also configure requests for a product to be automatically approved or denied. If your organization needs workflows with more complexity, you may create your own.
To get started, navigate to Self Service > Approval Workflows on the HelloID Administrator Dashboard.
Create an Approval Workflow
Click Create on the Approval Workflows overview to get started.
The next screen display's the new workflows General tab, where you are presented with the following fields:
The name of the new workflow.
Enabled workflows are available to be used in Self Service products. Disabled workflows are not.
Enable this option to set your new workflow as the default for your HelloID environment. All new products will have this workflow pre-selected.
- Send Default Emails
Disable this option to instruct HelloID to not send emails to approvers. Disabling this option will also disable reminder emails. This is useful if you plan to include your own email actions inside of a self-service product.
On the Approval tab, you may configure how the request for a Self Service product is routed and approved. You are given the following options.
- Specify Approvers
A list of users or groups to whom a request is sent for approval. More information is provided below.
- Approval Order
The order in which approval requests are sent and handled. More information is provided below.
- Requesting User Should Approve
If the requesting user is also on the approvers list, you may require them to submit their own approval by enabling this feature.
- Automatic Action Enabled
Configure a request to be automatically approved or denied if a given time period has passed without the members of the approvers list granting or denying the request.
With the Specify Approvers option enabled, you may pick which users or groups are responsible for approving requests for products using this workflow.
- To add a specific user or group, search for them by name.
- Click on the name of the user or group you wish to add to the approvers list.
Members of the approvers list may also be dynamic. Examples of dynamic users and groups would be the Resource Owner of the product or the Manager of the requesting user. Additionally, you may construct your own Custom Filter based on user attributes within HelloID.
- To add the resource owner or the requester's manager to the approvers list, click the corresponding button below the search bar.
- To add a custom filter, first click the Custom filter button. This will bring up a new dialog.
- Select the attribute that you wish to filter on in the left side. In this example, we will user the "department" attribute.
- On the right side, we may either enter a static value, or use a value from the requester's attributes. To use the value from the requester, click the Switch to match with requester's value.
- You may add additional filters to further limit your results, such as filtering down to the manager of the department, as in this example.
- Click Save to add the filter.
- Hover your mouse over the newly-added filter to get a preview of users that match the filter criteria. In the top left of the dialog, you may choose a user account to test the filter with and see who comes up as an approver. In the top right, you may search among the approvers.
Note: When using a group in the approvers list, or a custom filter that returns more than one user, only a single member must submit their approval.
You may configure the order in which approvers receive notice and must submit their approval for a request. You have the following options:
- All users must approve
Every user on the approvers list must submit their approval to grant the request, but in no particular order.
- All users must approve in sequence
Every user on the approvers list must submit their approval to grant the request, in the order specified in the list. You may rearrange the approvers by dragging-and-dropping them in the list.
- Any user must approve
Only a single approver must submit their approval in order to grant the request.
You may configure HelloID to allow you to send email reminders to the next person on the approvers list, if that person has not responded to the request within the defined timeout period. This is useful to prevent Self Service requests from being buried within user's email inboxes.
Click Save once you have configured your approval workflow to your liking. Your new workflow is visible on the Approval Workflows overview, and is also available in the Workflow dropdown when creating a new Self Service product. Learn more about Self Service products here.