HelloID has the ability to use QR codes for end user authentication. After enabling QR codes for your site, users can show their code to a camera-enabled device and HelloID will authenticate that user and open their Dashboard.
QR codes are extremely useful for end users who may have difficulty remembering or typing a password. Young children, such as those attending primary school, are often good candidates for using QR codes instead of passwords
Enable QR Codes for Your Site
To enable your HelloID instance to accept QR codes as login credentials, do the following:
- On the HelloID Administrator Dashboard, navigate to Security > Policies > Sign on policies
- On the next page, enable the following settings:
- Enable QR-Login
- Show QR-Login on Login Selector Page
- You may limit the audience of users who are presented with the option to use QR codes by setting a range of IP addresses or a comma-separated list of ranges. To not limit the audience, use an asterisk to signify that all IPs may have the option to use QR codes to login.
- Click the Save button to save your changes.
Enabling QR Codes for Groups
QR codes must be enabled for at least one group in order to be available as a logon option (enable for Domain Users or some other all-encompassing group to enable QR codes for all users). For details about enabling group QR codes, please refer to the helpdesk article related to group management. Once enabled, all of that group's codes can be downloaded and printed for the group's users.
Obtaining QR Codes for Users
Once QR-Login is enabled, QR codes are available for each user and can be found under the user's account details within HelloID.
- On the HelloID Administrator Dashboard, navigate to Directory > Users.
- Find or search for the user whose QR code you want to view and click on Edit for that user.
- Under the General tab, that user's QR code data can be generated, scanned, or printed.