Note: At least one category must exist
In order to create a product, at least one category must exist. Learn more about Self Service categories here.
HelloID Self Service is a highly flexible platform that allows you to configure products that your organization's end users may request through their HelloID User Dashboard. Resource owners may then approve or deny those requests.
Additional Dynamic Forms options are available that allow you to prompt end users for more information, as well as more complex and customizable Approval Workflows.
Create a Product
- On the HelloID Admin Dashboard, navigate to Self Service > Products to access the products overview. Click Create Product to bring up the Create Product interface.
- On the Product tab you will find fields that describe the product itself, who owns it, how request are approved, and more.
The name of the product. For multi-lingual support, click the flag icon and provide a relevant translation for the selected language.
- Managed By
Type or find the user who will be the owner of this product. By default, all requests for this product will be routed to them for approval.
- Approval Workflow
Select the workflow that will handle requests for this product. Learn more about approval workflows here.
- Form (Optional)
Select a form that will be displayed to the end user when requesting the product. Additional information about the user or their request can be gathered with the form. Learn more about forms here.
- Description (Optional)
This description is shown in the Self Service product catalog to provide more information to the end user. For multi-lingual support, click the flag icon and provide a relevant translation for the selected language.
- Show Price
When enabled, the price of the product will be shown in the Self Service product catalog.
- Price (Optional)
The per-unit cost of the product . The price may be entered as a whole number, or a two-digit decimal.
Stock Keeping Unit. A unique identifier for the product. By default, this is automatically generated, but you may replace it with a value of your choosing.
Enabled products are shown in the Self Service product catalog. Disable products are not.
- Maximum Amount (Optional)
Define the maximum number of requests that can be approved for this product at any given time. This is useful for controlling licensing costs.
- Risk Factor Enabled
Enable this to associate a 1-10 risk factor with this product.
- Multiple Requests
Once: a user may only have a single approved request for this project at a time.
Always: a user may request as many copies of this product as they wish.
You may upload an icon of your choice, or use one of the many predefined icons within HelloID.
Select which category in which this product should be belong. Learn more about Self Service categories here.
- Agent Pool
Select which agent pool should handle requests for this product. Learn more about agent pools here.
- On the Actions Tab, you can define what happens when a request for this product is approved or denied. To get started, click the Add Action button to bring up the Task Catalog.
- Search for or find the task that you wish to perform and then click the Add button next to it. In this example, we will add users to an Active Directory group.
- Note: If you cannot find a task, you can perform custom actions with a PowerShell task.
- You will now be able to customize the chosen task. The options presented here vary between tasks (all task documentation is available here), but you will always be presented with the following fields:
The name of the task. This will show in the product's Actions tab.
- Execute on State
The option here determines when this task is executed. For example, the "Approved" state means this task will be run when the request is approved.
- Fill out the rest of the form and click Close to finish.
- Some fields may contain variables. You may also use custom variables in these fields. Learn more about variables here.
- Additional actions may be added. In this example, we can add an action that removes the Active Directory group membership when the product is returned.
- The Time Limit tab allows you to optionally configure how long a user is allowed to have a product. This tab is useful for products with a higher risk factor or cost. Enable time limits on this tab to configure the following options:
- Limit Type
Fixed Duration: The user may have this product for the specified duration, with no manager override.
Maximum Duration: The user may have this product for the specified duration, and optionally the manager may override this duration.
- Ownership Duration Unit
Select whether the ownership duration will be measured in minutes, hours, or days.
- Ownership Duration
Specify, in whole numbers, the duration that the end user will have this product.
- Allow Manager Override
Enable this option to allow the manager to override the duration that individual end users have this product.
- Limit Type
- When you are finished configuring the new product, click Save.
Manage a Product
Editing a product can happen immediately after creating a product, or by clicking the Edit link for a product on the product overview page. This interface provides additional tabs that were not visible during product creation.
In this interface, you can change any details you provided during product creation, as well as add or remove groups from the product, configure product segregation, and view the product's request history.
Members of groups that have been added to both the product and its parent category will see the product on the Self Service Products page of the HelloID User Dashboard. Learn more about end user product requests here.
To manage groups, follow these steps:
- Click on the Groups tab in the product edit interface. This will display a list of all groups that are currently attached to this product. Learn more about groups here.
- On new products, the default Users group is added. If you want to restrict the visibility of this product to only certain users and groups, you will need to remove the default Users group. To do so, select that group from the list and click Remove Selection.
- Click the Add Groups button to bring up the group selection dialog.
- Select one or more groups to add, and then click Add Selection. Alternatively, you can add all groups to this product by clicking Add All Groups. Click Close to cancel.
- When you are finished adding groups and making other modifications, click the Save button.
Product segregation helps you to enforce segregation of duties and compliance by preventing end users from requesting a Self Service product if they already have a conversely-related product. Some common examples are:
- An user should not be allowed rights to both submit payments and approve payments.
- A user should not be allowed to request two pieces of software that are incompatible with each other.
In this example, we will prevent users from requesting the Outlook 2013 Self Service product if they already have the Outlook 2016 Self Service product.
To manage product segregation, follow these steps:
- Click on the Segregation tab in the product edit interface. This will display a list of all segregation rules currently attached to this product.
- Click the Add products button to bring up the product selection dialog.
- Select the product(s) which should be hidden from the end user if they have the current product and click Add Selection.
- The added product is now displayed in the list. Click Save to finish.
Adding a restricted product to a given product's segregation list will automatically perform the same action on the other product. For this example, navigating to the Segregation tab for "MS Outlook 2013" will display the initial "MS Outlook 2016" as a segregated product.
The Request History tab gives you a historical view of who has requested the selected product. The following information is displayed:
- Requested On (UTC)
The time and date on which the request was submitted.
- Requested By
The name of the person who submitted the request.
The current state of the request.
More information about the request can be seen by clicking on Open Details.